Welcome!


This is where I note my efforts as I try to recreate some old recipes. Most are taken from my small collection of handwritten recipe books which date from the late 1700's to around 1922. I also have a collection of old tatty old recipe books, well thumbed and heavily splashed from years of use. I love all of them.

The old-fashioned very stylised handwriting writing is sometimes difficult to decipher, measurements and cooking instructions are minimal, no tin sizes given. Luckily I enjoy a challenge. Just to complicate things I cook and bake on my wood-fired Rayburn, which can be... unpredictable.

I suspect this blog is less about the food and more about my passion for these lovely old books and the wonderful women who wrote them.


Sunday 14 August 2016

A Kitchen Supper

Last night eight of us were treated to a magnificent feast of Chinese food - and it didn't come from a takeaway shop.

Poppy cooked up a storm for us.  She was a little apologetic because she didn't have all the ingredients to make things in quite the same way that she would have in Shanghai, but we were more than happy.

Poppy


Meat dishes and vegetarian dishes, even the vegan was happy with what was on offer.   Poppy cooked a lots of wonderful dishes and they ranged from hot and spicy through to mild and lightly spiced.   All were delicious.    Here are just a few.


This was the most authentic dish, according to Poppy.  It was belly pork with fresh chillies, pickled chillies, assorted vegetables, ginger, garlic and spring onions.   The meat eaters dived in, the brave ones used chopsticks, the wimps stuck to knives and forks.



This jar of pickled turnip helped to add a different dimension to the taste sensations.


A big dish of delicious spiced tofu - even Max enjoyed this one.

And then there was this...........



a vast dish of spiced lotus root with mangetout and vegetables.   Everything was delicious,  but this dish was absolutely my favourite.  

The colours were like Christmas and the taste/texture was sublime.    

I could eat it any day of the week.

No recipes, sorry.  

I'll try to take notes next time.

Kitchen suppers don't come better than this.

Poppy, you are simply the best.
xxx

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have a family member who is capable of preparing such a feast. Lucky you; it all looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cro, We are so lucky! Young Hector is still hoping she will make him some dumplings, just like the ones which Kung Fu Panda eats, he won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello Sol, My photographs just don't do the meal justice, but then we had almost finished before I thought to grab my camera! I think that at first Poppy found it a little strange that I don't eat meat (although I dutifully sampled meat dishes for her) now she always makes sure that there's plenty of meat-free dishes and they are excellent.

      Delete