Welcome!


This is where I note my efforts as I try to recreate some old recipes. Most are taken from my small collection of handwritten recipe books which date from the late 1700's to around 1922. I also have a collection of old tatty old recipe books, well thumbed and heavily splashed from years of use. I love all of them.

The old-fashioned very stylised handwriting writing is sometimes difficult to decipher, measurements and cooking instructions are minimal, no tin sizes given. Luckily I enjoy a challenge. Just to complicate things I cook and bake on my wood-fired Rayburn, which can be... unpredictable.

I suspect this blog is less about the food and more about my passion for these lovely old books and the wonderful women who wrote them.


Wednesday 1 March 2017

An even Better Victorian Chocolate Cake Recipe


The garden is full of primroses and my old recipe books have plenty of recipes which use them, but I decided to pick just a few for decoration.  

Chocolate cake is always popular with my family and this one got a big thumbs up from them.    It doesn't come with a list of ingredients a mile long.   Nor does it take any great effort.



I found it in one of my old recipe books:

8 oz flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz dark chocolate
8 fl oz milk
5 oz butter
10 oz soft brown sugar - (I didn't have enough, so 4 or 5 oz was dark molasses sugar)
3 eggs
1 tbsp black treacle
1 tsp vanilla extract

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.

Put the milk and chocolate into a pan and warm them gently, stir when melted and then set aside to cool.

Cream the butter and sugar, adding the beaten eggs a little at a time.   Add flour and eggs alternately.

Mix well and then add the cooled chocolate and milk mixture.

Pour the batter into tins and bake at 180 degrees - 25-30 minutes, approximately.

I used two 8" tins, but you could use smaller ones and make three cakes.


No doubt there will be more to come.
x

7 comments:

  1. The primrose looks nice against that yummy chocolate. Your family eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda, My family eat far too well.
    I have made a decision to continue baking these experimental cakes, but in miniature! Max has expressed concern about his expanding waistline but doesn't want to give up his cake, so just making a four inch one should help... it will also give my brain a good workout as I do the calculations to reduce the quantities of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of cake...few ingredients. I need look no further than my pantry and fridge, for all the ingredients. I think I will give it a try Friday afternoon. And maybe, I will try to cut the recipe in half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine, this looks absolutely delectable!!! And I love the photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Meggie, The family liked the darker notes which the black treacle and molasses sugar introduced - but, truth to tell, they are always happy to sample chocolate cake!


    Hello Linda, Thank you. It was gone in a trice so I think we can call that a success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was small, my mother used to make Chocolate Cakes that looked exactly like that. They were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cro, I have hopes that my grandchildren will have happy memories of the cakes I bake for them! I made them toad-in-the-hole for their tea last night, just as well we don't have a pool!

    ReplyDelete