Welcome!


This is where I note my efforts as I try to recreate some old recipes. Most are taken from my small collection of handwritten recipe books which date from the late 1700's to around 1922. I also have a collection of old tatty old recipe books, well thumbed and heavily splashed from years of use. I love all of them.

The old-fashioned very stylised handwriting writing is sometimes difficult to decipher, measurements and cooking instructions are minimal, no tin sizes given. Luckily I enjoy a challenge. Just to complicate things I cook and bake on my wood-fired Rayburn, which can be... unpredictable.

I suspect this blog is less about the food and more about my passion for these lovely old books and the wonderful women who wrote them.


Sunday 16 April 2017

Baking and Cooking

It has been a busy time, here in Parsonage Cottage Kitchen.
Lots of cooking and baking, virtually no photographs because I was too busy.
This one more than makes up for it, for me.


Young Merry made a batch of koulourakia, Greek biscuits.   Thanks, Linda.   They were enormous fun to make and were enjoyed by all the visitors.

I set aside my personal scruples, roasted a large ham.   I made sure that it was British and outdoor reared, I had to at least have the consolation that the poor pig had had some quality of life.    I also roasted a large chicken - free range, of course.   That was the less than pleasant stuff out of the way.


Baking:

A very large quiche, mushroom, wild garlic and cheese.
A vast Lemon Meringue Pie
Chocolate Cake, with frosting.
Carrot Cake
Two varieties of bread
Hot Cross Buns
Koulourakia
Shortbread




Roast Ham
Roast Chicken
Tabbouleh
Mixed Salads
Boiled New Potatoes with Mint, Butter and Sea Salt
Crudites and Hummus

plus all the things which I bought rather than made - cheeses(!) ice cream, pickles, etc, etc.


We were feeding all three of our adult children, their partners and children.   The party was twelve in number and food disappeared at a rate of knots.   Even so,  there was plenty left over.

I made sure that they all took parcels of their favourite left overs, but there is still a fridge full of deliciousness.   No need for me to cook or shop for quite a while yet.

I need to lie down in a darkened room to recover.
x

p.s.  Everyone sends their love, Ian.   They wanted to know about the boat and your adventures!xx


4 comments:

  1. Save me some carrot cake. Love the photo. "Happy Easter, Elaine"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, It's yours...well, it would have been. Let me know when you are coming, I'll bake a fresh one! Your family celebrations looked great fun!

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the koulourakia. Just love the photo! Busy little hands.
    The amount of food you made is amazing! A truly Greek feast. How were your hot cross buns? Something I really miss. Make them most years with great failure. Last year's were divine but only for the first day. Got stale very quickly.
    A belated happy Easter, and it sounds as though it was exactly that. Our fridge too is full but thank goodness like you everyone took home leftovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, We had great fun so thank you. I love feeding the family with real food but I do find it really tiring. I must be getting old because I can suddenly see the attraction of taking them all out for a meal instead. It wouldn't be the same though.
      Hot cross buns do go stale quickly, eat them fresh, toast them the next day, and then make a bread and butter pudding out of any leftovers. I suppose the trick is not to make too many at once, or make sure you have lots of hungry people around.
      I think you probably wore yourself out, too. Time you had a well-deserved rest - don't know how you manage to do the night shift!

      Delete